How To Apply
Applications are accepted online please fill out the form below. A resume can be attached in the last field of the application, which is encouraged. Candidates must submit to a background review, drug test, E-Verify and driving record review.
Tom Merry, Owner
Cell: (253) 227-3892
Founded in 2000, Rainier Asphalt & Concrete is a leading pavement contractor in the Puget Sound region. We provide various services, including: hot mix asphalt patching and paving, asphalt seal coating, striping, curbing, concrete flat work, crack filling, drainage and traffic control. We employ approximately 75 people and have offices in North Bend and Tacoma. The company is operational and busy year-round, and is much less seasonal than many competitors in this industry.
Summary of Responsibilities
Rainier Asphalt & Concrete seeks a Project Manager for its North Bend or Tacoma location with experience in the asphalt/concrete or construction fields. This position is being created not because of a vacancy, but because of rapid growth in our business. The position requires the ability to effectively communicate with both our internal crews and our customers. Strong written and verbal skills are imperative, along with the ability to anticipate and troubleshoot problems quickly. Weekend work is required, especially in the peak summer season.
The Project Manager position sits between the General Manager (who oversees all of production) and the Superintendent, who is involved with day-to-day operations with the foremen and crews and concentrates on training, coaching and project oversight. There is no sales or estimating involved with the Project Manager position.
Rainier provides various services, and the Project Manager will be involved with projects including: hot mix asphalt patching and paving; asphalt seal coating; striping; curbing; concrete flat work; crack filling; drainage. The successful candidate will have experience or an eagerness to learn these various disciplines. A typical project lasts from a few hours to about a week. Some projects will be performed in phases as we schedule the various disciplines. Our customers include property managers, public agencies and private utilities. By design, we do not work for homeowners and general contractors on a limited basis only. Our service area covers King, Pierce, Snohomish, Thurston, Kitsap and Kittitas counties. The company is operational and busy year-round, and is much less seasonal than many competitors in this industry.
The ideal candidate would also have experience working on projects in the public right-of-way (ROW). Prerequisites include experience collaborating with ROW inspectors, understanding traffic control setups and concepts, understanding of asphalt and concrete disciplines and, ideally, experience working in the Seattle Metro corridor.
Our company makes a strong emphasis on utilizing technology to make us more productive. Candidates must be savvy with computers, software, smart phones, etc. and be willing to continually learn and adapt to new technologies.
Additional skills necessary include managing customer expectations, overseeing quality, and communicating with the Superintendent and field staff to execute the projects properly and efficiently. The candidate must be fair and accountable to customers, employees and vendors.
Our company values guide everything we do, and the candidate must be able to adhere to our company culture.
Our values are as follows:
- Safety: The first priority every day is that each employee and others we encounter can go home safely. We aim to provide the necessary equipment, training and resources to make this possible.
- Integrity: The Golden Rule guides our dealings with customers, employees, vendors and the general public. We value honesty, fairness and accountability.
- Drive: Individually and collectively, we have an insatiable appetite for continuous improvement day after day and year after year. No matter how good we are today, we can always be better tomorrow.
- Consistency: We are committed to gaining the trust of customers, employees and vendors by adhering to our procedures every day and consistently managing and exceeding expectations.
- Quality: The best job is one done efficiently and right the first time. We take pride knowing we go home with a sense of accomplishment and always seek repeat customers and referrals as evidence of a job well done.
- People: Our teamwork environment is one where people are treated with dignity and always have the opportunity to be heard. We strive to be a destination for employees by offering a rewarding place to work with opportunities for career advancement.
Salary range: $80,000 – $110,000, depending on experience
We offer comprehensive benefits including:
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Retirement (401k)
- Life Insurance
- Family Sick Leave and Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).