How To Apply
Applications are accepted online at https://rainierasphalt.com/apply, or click the button at the bottom of this page. A resume can be attached in the last field of the application, which is encouraged. Candidates must submit to a background review, drug test, E-Verify and driving record review.
Tom Merry, Owner
Cell: (253) 227-3892
Founded in 2000, Rainier Asphalt & Concrete is a leading pavement contractor in the Puget Sound region. We provide various services, including: hot mix asphalt patching and paving, asphalt seal coating, striping, curbing, concrete flat work, crack filling, drainage and traffic control. We employ approximately 75 people and have offices in North Bend and Tacoma. The company is operational and busy year-round, and is much less seasonal than many competitors in this industry.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Superintendent position exists between the Project Manager and the Crew Foreman. While the Project Manager’s role is primarily to manage the client, the Superintendent’s role is to manage the Foremen and Crew. Desired outcomes include:
- To oversee and improve efficiency, performance, profitability, quality, morale and image to the public among the crews and to improve communication between the crew and Project Management
- To assist the Project Manager and allow the company to more efficiently serve more customers
Improve field staff training, recruiting and retention
The Superintendent works with the crews to reduce the amount of punch list and warranty work and improve the overall quality of the staff through recruitment, training, coaching and auditing in the field. Specific duties include:
- Lead quality portion of monthly crew meetings
- Perform jobsite inspections during and post production
- Oversee truck cleanliness and preparedness for each day’s work
- Update vendor binder as needed and restock trucks
- Ensure crews are taking the most efficient routes, using proper plant and disposal sites, work with Project Manager and make sure crews have proper instructions (on work orders, etc.)
- Monitoring asphalt sealer application/dilution logs.
- Work with Project Managers and mechanic to ensure trucks, tools and equipment are working properly.
- Hiring/Training Functions
- The Superintendent will work to promote the “Rainier” culture throughout the ranks and improve the overall quality of work and company image, both internally and to the general public. He/she will also perform the orientation/training of new employees.
- Conduct on-site training/coaching of new and experienced employees to make sure we’re using proper means/methods to promote efficient and quality finished products
- Accompany new-hires on a “Driver’s Road Test Examination” to see if they are competent. CDL and non-CDL.
- Ensure staff are trained and have current CPR/First-Aid cards (in conjunction with Safety Officer)
- Ensure adequate staff have current flagger certification (in conjunction with Safety Officer)
- Recruit talent through various events, word of mouth and participate in interviews
- Work with existing staff (especially in offseason) to obtain their CDL
- Maintenance Functions
- The Superintendent will undertake efforts to improve longevity, performance and efficiency of equipment by keeping an eye out in the field for maintenance needs and potential (needed) asset purchases and/or dispositions.
Specific duties will include:
- Monitoring the morning pre-trip inspections and procedures and more extensive examinations that will happen weekly/monthly to check lights, blinkers, wipers, trailer connections, brakes, cleanliness, etc.
- Conduct inspections and employee interviews while on site to see if there are any needs. Work as liaison with Project Managers and submit maintenance request forms (or coach employees) as necessary.
- Project Manager Assist Functions
The Superintendent will assist the Project Managers in day-to-day task as directed, including:
- Attend weekly Production Meetings
- Overseeing punch list completions
- Conduct annual employee interviews/check in (in conjunction with Project Managers
- Assisting in discipline as needed
This position has a wage range of $60,000-$80,000 depending on experience.
We offer comprehensive benefits including:
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Retirement (401k)
- Life Insurance
- Family Sick Leave and Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).